BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday 20 January 2010

Cooking brings peole together

Yesterday was highly interesting.


After sharing stories,coffee, and lots of laughter with Pi' Ang; I headed over to the market. Determined to make Tom Yum Kong( Spicy Shrimp soup) The one problem being, I had no idea what or how to accomplish such a task. So, I picked a random Thai market woman and marched up to her and asked how on earth do I make my soup! She found it funny that a little farrang(Foreigner) wanted to make thai soup to begin with. She puttered around picking up oddities of veggies and spices. A few I knew, others looking like aliens from outer worlds and handed them to me. I asked her what to do with it, she proceeded to explain in a mix of thai and northern thai. I did my very best to catch what she said and thanked her and went on my way.
Coming home I grabbed my That cooking book(written in Thai) and tried to decipher the recipe. Gathering that I needed to chop things and stick em in water..But how much of things and water?! In any case I decided to give it a wing and it came out super yummy!
Being inspired I figured I'd take my Cook book to class today to see if my teacher would help me out with reading it. And she loved it! We both learned together, me reading and her explaining what it all meant. She was sad when our lesson was over and begged me to bring it next week. All n all..Cooking makes my little world go round:D

0 comments: